Telephone Number: +49 030 – 2326 2326
Nearest Subway Stop: Oranienburger Tor U6 (674 feet), Friedrichstraße U6 S1 S2 S25&26 S3 S5 S7 S9 S75 (1436 feet)
The Friedrichstadt-Palast is a revue in the Berlin district of Mitte (district center). The term Friedrichstadt-Palast designates both the building itself, and the revue theater as a body with his ensemble. The present building is distinct from its predecessor, the Old Friedrichstadt-Palast, also called the New Friedrichstadt-Palast.
The history of the Friedrichstadt-Palast goes back to an earlier market hall, which is about 200 meters southwest of present-day location between the Bertolt-Brecht-Platz and the road was at the circus, official address was in 1867 at the 1st Circus. Later it was right next to her at the theater Schiffbauerdamm built. In the place of the covered market is still one of the demolition of the old Friedrichstadtpalast created by open space.
The building was built from 1865 to 1867 on behalf of the Berlin real estate stock company under the plans of the Privy building advice of Friedrich Hitzig. This was under the direction of the architect that built Lent and on 29 September 1867, Berlin's first market hall was opened. The building was 84 meters long and 64 meters wide. Just seven months after its opening, 18 April 1868, for economic reasons, which arose from the bad traffic situation at that time, it closed. The building was empty at first and was later used as a food depot. During the German-Prussian War of 1870-71 the Prussian Army command sent in the construction of a replenishment arsenal. After the war the hall was again unused.
In 1873, the first reconstruction of the building was made at a fixed circus building, with about 8,000 seats. On December 25, 1873 it was opened as a covered market by Circus Director Albert Salomonsky. The ideas offered above all included training horses, for Salmonsky was supportive of riders. On April, 20 1879, the building was acquired by Ernst Renz and let Circus Renz continue its operation. Renz had the building rebuilt in 1888. Over the subsequent admission capacity, figures from various sources differ, yet it possibly hold up to 8000 seats. Renz made use of its closeness to water to its advantage by the fact that the building sat on 863 piles over the course of a swamp by the suburb of Oranienburg. The nearby river, already used in the days of the market hall to keep fish, flowers and vegetables fresh, was now openly led through the building. According to Renz's obituary in 1892, the enterprise was continued by his son Franz Renz, but it closed in July 1897 under the great pressure of competition.
The building was auctioned and came into the possession of Bolossy Kiralfy and Hermann Haller. They directed the rebuilding again of the nightclub New Olympic giant theater or giant Olympia Theatre. The proscenium arch was widened to 44 meters and four of the eight major pillars in the auditorium were removed. However, after two years, the duo Kiralfy/Haller gave up again, their ostentatious shows with too little content finding little favour with audiences.
On October 1899, the circus reopened. Schumann decided on classic circus programs featuring numerous dressage horses. Another renovation in 1901 led to the enlargement of the stage area to 800 square meters and a modernization of the installed technology. From 1910, Berlin audiences preferred programs with trained predator animals, and interest in Schumann's performances waned. The first World War finally brought him to ruin. At the beginning of the war, his horses were requisitioned for the Imperial Cavalry, and earnings went to paying taxes. On March 31, 1918 the Circus Schumann held its last performance.
Ringmasters Salomonsky, Renz, Schumann and the artistes Kiralfy/Haller followed Max Reinhardt, and wanted to use his monumental circus for the staging of classic plays. April 1918 had the takeover of the National-Theater AG's house on behalf of Reinhardt. Reinhardt decided to rebuild the building for the new use for it was rebuilt again by the renowned architect Hans Poelzig. After this, the cast-iron columns and struts through a stucco ceiling with dangling teardrop pin architecture, the market hall had been transformed., The building had a revolving stage of 18 meters in diameter and had movable proscenium. Added to this was modern lighting and effects technology.
In November 1919, the now large theater building called The Oresteia by Aeschylus in the processing and translation of Karl Gustav Vollmoeller directed by Max Reinhardt solemnly opened.
1924 had the staged Erik Charell with his "Charellrevue" with lyrics by Robert Gilbert, and the music show "The White Horse Inn.” July 1925 brought Erwin Piscator 's Political Review "Still," on stage.
World War and new beginnings
During the Nazi era, the theater was renamed Theater des Volkes. The dome hanging pins were cut off as they were seen as degenerate art. Now late-bourgeois operettas were performed. The theatre was at this time also under the name Palace of 5000 and under the private management Spadonis Marion and Nicola Lupo.
The building suffered most in March 1945 due to repeated air attacks. Damage caused the plays to be removed from March until August 1945. Now, led the artists Spadoni and Lupo the house as a palace of the 3000/Theater of 3000 or Palace at the Friedrichstrasse station and Palace Variety.
In 1949 the owners abandoned the theater and the city of Berlin took over the facility, the original name Friedrichstadtpalast got back. The first director was following the expropriation of Gottfried Hermann, he was succeeded in 1961, Wolfgang E. Struck.
On February 29, 1980, the building was immediately closed after the inspection by construction experts because of strong subsidence of the foundation and the discovery of piers rotted in the ground. In a ADN -message the same day it said: "Performances are not to take place anymore in March. The City Council of Berlin has in the interest of public safety, does the same taken in. The constant monitoring of the palace by the state supervision and special investigations have shown that the foundation construction deteriorating.... " Thus passed that evening the last performance. Although closed as a venue, the house of the ensemble was subsequently continued as a sample stage. Even the magazine, the workshops and administrative buildings were used further. After the move of the ensemble to the new building in 1985, demolition began of the nearly 120 year old building.
In the old and new Friedrichstadt-Palast, television shows were regularly filmed of the Deutscher Fernsehfunk television production, which occurred a number of international stars. Some parts of the Saturday evening show A boiler Colorful were filmed here. In memory of the popular presenter Helga Hahnemann, every year there is the prize of gold hen.
The theater today
Despite the name, is the Friedrichstadt-Palast not in the city of Frederick, but in the Spandauer Vorstadt. The building is located on a site that was already known since 1900 as the showcase of Frederick Street and bears the number 107, about 400 meters north of the station Friedrichstrasse. It was built to replace the old theater that was closed in 1980.
As the site of the new building was an area where the 18th century, the barracks of the 2nd Guard Regiment foot was to be used by the tax later. The barracks were demolished by the bombing at the end of the Second World War, its foundations rose between 1949 and about 1960, the former circus ring circus Barlay.
The new Friedrichstadt-Palast had a floor plan of 7,700 m². It opened on April 27, 1984. The new palace building is a concrete building with a rectangular floor plan, with Rundbogenformen articulated façade elements. Basic ideas of the interior of the old palace in the vestibule, in the revolutions, the chandeliers in the lobby and identified.
The three reliefs on the south side and the relief on the north side of the building were created by the sculptor Emilia N. Bayer. The reliefs are concerned with the history of the palace as a circus, theater and vaudeville theater.
The Friedrichstadt-Palast has a large hall with 1,895 amphitheatrically laid out seats, where shows are performed regularly. The theater floor with its 2,854 square meters of performing space is the largest stage in the world. Its 24 meters wide proscenium arch is the widest in Europee.
Elements that may be in every show of the house, which are extendable from the lower two-meter pool, which has a capacity of 140,000 liters, and the ice surface. An essential part of the revues that is composed of 60 dancers of the Friedrichstadt-Palace Ballet. Every evening, the 32 dancers form the longest kick line in the world. 2009 was the first meeting house cinema of the Berlinale and venue of the Fashion Show by Michael Michalsky during the Berlin Fashion Week 2009.
Unique in Germany is also the Children and Youth Ensemble. More than 250 children aged six to sixteen years perform themed children's play for children on the big stage at the Friedrichstrasse and show their skills.
Since 1995, the theater has been a GmbH company, first under the artistic director Alexander Iljinskij, from 2004 to October 2007 under the direction of Thomas Mann and Münster Guido Herrmann. Since 1 November 2007, Berndt Schmidt, is director and sole manager of the Friedrichstadt-Palast.
In the earlier small revue in the basement of the Friedrichstadt-Palast is, since 2002 the Quatsch Comedy Club. The Claire-Waldoff Square in front of the theater are in the so-called "Berlin patch" the hand prints of show sizes, including Liza Minnelli, Ute Lemper, Caterina Valente, and Louis Armstrong.
Recently, to arrest declining sales, the theater began modernizing its shows. Madonna and Kylie Minogue replaced the classical music, and stage dialogue was almost eliminated completely.